Fenelon Falls, originally named Cameron’s Falls, was renamed after the township, which was named after François de Salignac de la Mothe-Fénelon, not to be confused with his more famous half-brother of the same name), who founded a mission on the Bay of Quinté.
The village of Fenelon Falls was incorporated in 1874. In 1876, the Victoria Railway reached Fenelon Falls. This line was taken over by the Midland Railway of Canada circa 1880, then absorbed into the Grand Trunk Railway (GTR) in 1893. In 1885, construction of the lock between Cameron and Sturgeon lake began. In 1923, CN took over the former GTR, operating the line until the burning of McLaren’s Creek bridge near Lindsay in 1980 cut off the north end of the Haliburton Subdivision. In 1983, the line was abandoned with the track being removed by 1984. The line eventually became a public multi-use trail.
The Fenelon Falls Museum, open seasonally from May through October, is housed in the 1837 squared-timber home of James Wallis.
- Fenelon Falls is home to a night-time Santa Claus Parade.
- Fenelon’s Canada Day festivities and fireworks displays are held at Garnet Graham Park.
- Fenelon Falls hosted the annual Ride for Sight a number of years at the Fenelon Fair Grounds, the last being 1998.
- The Fenelon Agricultural Fair is held annually at the Fenelon Fair Grounds in mid-August, hosted by the Fenelon Falls Agricultural Society.
- The Fenelon Falls Agricultural Society also hosts other events at the fair grounds annually over the summer months, including a Car Show, Steam Show, Jamboree and Art Festival.